Current:Home > FinanceEchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|New York officials to release new renderings of possible Gilgo Beach victim -Capitatum
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center|New York officials to release new renderings of possible Gilgo Beach victim
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 10:26:32
BRENTWOOD,EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center N.Y. (AP) — Law enforcement officials are set to release new information Monday about one of the victims whose remains were found along a coastal highway in New York’s Long Island more than a decade ago, a string of deaths known as the Gilgo Beach killings.
Suffolk County District Attorney Raymond Tierney said in a statement that the task force investigating the killings will also discuss other developments in the yearslong investigation.
Spokespersons for Tierney’s office did not respond to emails and calls seeking additional information over the weekend.
Tierney told Newsday that among the things the office will discuss are new, more detailed renderings of a male of Asian descent whose remains were found off Ocean Parkway in 2011.
Investigators have said they believe the unidentified man died five to 10 years earlier.
They say he was likely in his late teens or early 20s, was about 5 feet 6 inches (170 centimers) tall and had close-cropped hair. The victim was dressed in women’s clothing and may have been a sex worker, officials said at the time.
Officials will publish renderings of what he may have looked like that were made through anthropological reconstruction, Newsday reported. The hope is they may generate new leads.
Local officials released a more basic sketch of the victim back in 2011.
DNA records from Asian people is less common in U.S. genetic databases, making it difficult to compare and identify the remains through traditional methods, according to Tierney.
“We’re hoping maybe someone will remember a person who looked like him that disappeared in the time frame when he died,” he told Newsday.
No one has been charged in the death. A local architect is accused in the killings of six women, some of whose remains were found near the unidentified man’s.
Rex Heuermann, 61, was arraigned in June in connection with the deaths of two young women long believed to have been preyed upon as sex workers.
The charges came after recent police searches of Heuermann’s home and a wooded area on Long Island.
Jessica Taylor disappeared in 2003 and Sandra Costilla was killed 30 years ago, in 1993.
Costilla’s inclusion in the case indicates prosecutors now believe Heuermann was killing women far longer than previously thought.
Heuermann was previously charged with killing four others: Megan Waterman, Melissa Barthelemy, Amber Lynn Costello and Maureen Brainard-Barnes.
Since late 2010, police have been investigating the deaths of at least 10 people — mostly female sex workers — whose remains were discovered along an isolated highway near Gilgo Beach.
Heuermann, who lived across the bay, was arrested last July.
He has pleaded not guilty and his attorney, Michael Brown, did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment over the weekend.
veryGood! (43)
Related
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Legislature and New Mexico governor meet halfway on gun control and housing, but paid leave falters
- Georgia Senate passes plan meant to slow increases in property tax bills
- New York redistricting panel approves new congressional map with modest changes
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Authorities are investigating the death of Foremost Group CEO Angela Chao in rural Texas
- Kansas City shooting survivor says daughter saw Chiefs parade gunman firing and spinning in a circle
- Volkswagen-backed Scout Motors, in nod to past, toasts start of construction of electric SUV plant
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Republican businessman Hovde to enter Wisconsin US Senate race against Baldwin
Ranking
- Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
- Virginia lawmakers advancing bills that aim to protect access to contraception
- What to know about Thursday's Daytona Duels, the qualifying races for the 2024 Daytona 500
- All 58 Louisiana death row inmates with no execution date wait as bill proposes death by nitrogen gas
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- A fin whale decomposing on an Oregon beach creates a sad but ‘super educational’ spectacle
- The Best Luxury Bed Sheets That Are So Soft and Irresistible, You’ll Struggle to Get Out of Bed
- Four-term New Hampshire governor delivers his final state-of-the-state speech
Recommendation
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
As Alabama eyes more nitrogen executions, opponents urge companies to cut off plentiful gas supply
Migrating animals undergo perilous journeys every year. Humans make it more dangerous
Kansas City shooting survivor says daughter saw Chiefs parade gunman firing and spinning in a circle
Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
There are more than 300 headache causes. These are the most common ones.
Ye addresses Shaq's reported diss, denies Taylor Swift got him kicked out of Super Bowl
Special counsel urges Supreme Court to deny Trump's bid to halt decision rejecting immunity claim in 2020 election case